$title="BASM 530 - International Trading Environment";
Writing an Export Plan
Below you find an annotated list of web links
that cover a wide range of issues related to international business
- Government of Canada Sources
- The Strategis Guide to Exporting
- Strategis is a service provided by Industry Canada. Over the
years it has grown into a formidable source of information on
international trade issues with a Canadian perspective. The two
most information Strategis service follow immediately below.
- Trade Data Online (Strategis)
- This service provides
a search interface to a wealth of information and trade statistics.
Industry Canada provides Canadian and US trade data.
Commodity data are available at the internationally comparable
6-digit Harmonized System level. Industry data are also
available using Standard Industrial Classification (SIC)
- Canada Business - Exporting
- Here you find
helpful guides for writing up an export plan. A highly recommended
starting point for your course assignment.
You should have a look at the page describing how to
a successful export plan. Team Canada has also published
A Step-by-Step Guide to Exporting.
- InfoExport - The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
- The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT)
has put together a set of country reports and industry sector reports.
This complements the information from Industry Canada's web site.
- Agri-Food Trade Service Online
- Trade and marketing information from Agriculture and Agrifood Canada.
- Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA)
- The CCRA reports up-to-date border delay times. For learning about
customs rules related to exporting, read their
A Handy Customs Guide for Exporters, and
consult the Canadian Harmonized System Classification Codes.
Need to find out applicable tariffs? Check the
CCRA Tariff Wizard. You can also find out about the status of
particular anti-dumping and countervailing cases.
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT)
- The CITT operates within Canada's trade remedies system.
It is an independent quasi-judicial body that reports to
Parliament through the Minister of Finance. Its key mandate
is to conduct inquiries into whether dumped or subsidized imports
have caused, or are threatening to cause, material injury
to a domestic industry.
- Export Development Canada (EDC)
- EDC provides insurance and financing for exporters.
They also provide bonding, which provides buyer with
a guarantee of the exporter's performance.
- Virtual Trade Commissioner
- This is an electronic leads system of the Government of Canada's
DFAIT. Subscribers receive
information about emerging export opportunities, market and sector
specific information, and business leads.
- UBC Resources
PACIFIC Exchange Rate Service
- This is a popular web service I maintain. It provides
daily-updated exchange rates and a database retrieval and
plot interface for historic exchange rates
International Financial Statistics
- This is the main database of the International Monetary Fund.
It provides annual, quarterly, and monthly data for key economic
indicators of all IMF member countries. It can be a bit difficult
to navigate without the print version.
- U.S. Government Resources
- CIA World Fact Book
- This source provides overviews of all countries in the world.
- International Trade Administration (ITA)
- The ITA is a branch of the U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. Government Export Portal
- This site provides assistance to potential exports. It
features overviews, market reports, links to other
U.S. trade promotion agencies, and trade statistics.
- A Basic Guide to Exporting
- prepared by the U.S. Department of Commerce with the assistance of Unz & Co., Inc.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
- This is another branch of the U.S. Department of Commerce. On their
web site you find up-to-date statistics on the U.S. economy.
- U.S Census Bureau Trade Statistics
- This site provides free summary statistics for U.S. trade.
A more comprehensive database (but unfortunately fee-based) is
and its sister service USA Trade Online.
- North American Free Trade Agreement
- NAFTA Secretariat
- This site provides access to all the legal documents, including
the full text of the NAFTA agreement
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- APEC Secretariat
- Starting point for further information.
- APEC Tariff Database
- The easy way to find tariff information for the APEC member economies.
Tariff schedules, concessions, prohibitions.
- Miscellaneous Sources
- The International Business Resource Connection
- A well maintained directory of starting points, from the Business School of the University of Kansas
- Canadian NewsWire
- This is an up-to-date information service that provides access to
the latest information on individual companies in Canada.
- Transparency International
- If you want to find out about corruption in a particular country, this
site provides many insights as well as a ranking called the
Corruption Perception Index.
- Lex Mercatoria
- A very comprehensive web site with text of international
treaties and international economic law.